Cure-XF – 1st International Summer School on “Xylella Fastidiosa: detection, epidemiology and control measures”
The CURE-XF project is organising its 1st International Summer School on: “Xylella fastidiosa – detection, epidemiology and control measures”.
The Summer School is jointly organised by CIHEAM Bari (Italy), CNR-IPSP (Italy), CRSFA (Italy), UNIBA (Italy) in collaboration with XF-ACTORS and POnTE projects.
The 1st International CURE-XF Summer School objectives are to:
– Provide basic scientific knowledge and practical experiences on different aspects underlining the complex pathogen-hosts-vectors interactions;
– Promote research capacity building in Third Countries;
– Raise awareness on the emerging threats posed by Xylella fastidiosa;
– Support pest risk assessment.
The programme will include lectures and practical sessions on:
– Biology (host range and symptomatology) and genetics;
– Diagnosis and strain characterization (isolation and culturing, serological and innovative molecular approaches);
– Application of next-generation sequencing approaches to investigate the microbiome of diseased plants and to elucidate host defence mechanisms;
– Novel applications to support monitoring programs and surveys;
– Identification of insect vectors and monitoring approaches;
– Applying risk assessment/modelling methodologies to support epidemic forecasting;
– Control, containment and management measures;
– Socio-economic impacts: the case study on the epidemic of Xylella in Apulia;
– Relevant aspects and requirements of the EU phytosanitary legislation;
– Main tasks of the research programs ongoing at EU level.
Furthermore, participants will also have the chance to take part in the 2nd Mediterranean Forum for PhD Students and Young Researchers on “Research and Innovation as Tools for Sustainable Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security” that will take place from 18 to 20 September 2018 at CIHEAM Bari.
Plant Pathologists, Entomologists, Phytosanitary Inspectors and Risk Managers dealing with plant diseases.
No of Participants
Up to 25: priority will be given to participants seconded from CURE-XF Partner Institutions, but participation of trainees external to the Consortium will be welcome.
The course will take place from 10 September to 17 October 2017 mainly at CIHEAM Bari and at the premises of the four organizing partners, according to the activities to be carried out.
Registration will be free of charge for all participants.
Travel, board and lodging costs of the CURE-XF seconded staff participating in the school will be covered by the project according to the H2020-MSCA-RISE-2016 rules.
Participants not coming from the CURE-XF Consortium will have to cover their own travel costs and board & lodging expenses.
The application deadline is 15 July 2018: complete applications must be sent through this link: https://goo.gl/9WKqW7
Selected candidates will be announced by the end of July.
For more detailed information, please contact Silvia Centonze (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should include:
Application form (https://goo.gl/9WKqW7 );
Short Curriculum vitae;
Motivation letter for participating in the international summer school, which should indicate the academic/professional status of the applicant;
Reference letter from the applicant’s supervisor or employer;
financial support justification (only for participants not coming from the CURE-XF Consortium).